
In response to Allen Ginsberg’s photo
Lavish, luxuries, leaping off the plates
Rolling around on the table
Like there is nothing holding them back
Freedom to roam and feel
The taste of cold porcelain plates
Fragile and strong shattering at our feet
The caress of our tongues lapping the juices
Pouring from the fruit, slowly trickling down our faces
We taste gold of the purest kind
Our taste buds frazzled by the punch
Flicking around in our mouths uncontrollably begging for more
Our bodies frozen in the essence of time; no change
We crave so much and take so little
We gain no strength but our minds counteract that feeling weak
Feast! Feast! Feast!
Eat to the day’s desire with comrades around
I look around...alone
Lavish luxuries, fill the plate
But an empty table for one
I think this is a very powerful poem, especially paired with the photo. It's very reminiscent of comparing the Harlem Ren and the Gilded Age. I really love your use of imagery and sensory detail in the piece. I especially love the line "Our Taste Buds frazzled by the punch".
ReplyDeleteI liked how you inputted a visual to go along with the poem and the descriptive words you used, they add more feeling to the picture.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI liked your use of metaphors, it does feel like a Beat poem. My favorite line was "an empty table set for one".
ReplyDeleteI like how powerful this poem is, it talks about an insatiable hunger that is described in a very detailed way.
ReplyDeleteI really like this poem and feel the passion you wrote into it when I'm writing. I know this poem might very well be obviously about food, but I feel there is also a lot of lustful emotions and wording in this poem so for me I thought about sex and lust.
ReplyDelete