Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Unwanted Change

I am my own worst enemy
Years go by and she gets stronger every second
My skin splits, tearing me apart as my flesh stretches
I was afraid of who I was and not who I used to be
I am a piece of an unfinished puzzle
My shape, my background, my individuality varies
Whether I have three sides, dark color, or a piece of the bigger picture
It depends on where I think I belong
You’re not popular enough
You’re not cool enough
You’re not skinny enough
Well I’ve had enough of this stuff
Because I know that I am good enough
it took me awhile to figure that out you see,
I liked the likes on instagram
I followed the followers that I found myself following
For the fame...the friends
A little more make-up they said
Show more skin, Use the right caption, that’s not enough likes they said
I was fed up with all the comments and judgement
And lead my head to thinking I needed to change
For society to accept me for what I truly am not
Completely lost in this neverending cyclone
My body is no longer mine
I’ve changed so much and for what?
To have more friends?
To be seen as popular?
I wonder if it all was worth it…
All my time and energy spent
Trying to fit these pieces together that obviously do not match
I look in the mirror and I see a familiar face
Of course that face is not mine
It’s the face of my friend
The one that made me change
It is the eyes of all those that watched me die
It is the creation of society that I see
I need to rip that person apart
I need to restart this puzzle
I need to take this constant pain and
Push the pressure out that’s painted
My personality to portray a person that I know is not me
Let myself be
Sew the skin back together
Mend what I have destroyed

Let me be free

1 comment:

  1. All I can say is WOW! This is really good the structure of the poem fits your message. This has definitely shown me a big part of your life. People should be able to relate because this is something that is going on in at least a lot of everyday teens.

    ReplyDelete